Church of San Andres, Astigarribia
In its time, the small neighbourhood of Astigarribia was one of the most important points on the northern branch of the Camino de Santiago and a major halting site for pilgrims from all over Europe travelling through Gipuzkoa. It is easy to imagine those pilgrims as early tourists. The site includes a number of historical farmhouses and tower houses built around the Church of San Andrés. The undisputed jewel, however, is the ancient church itself, dedicated to St Andrew. The first mention of the site dates from 1081, in a document in which the Count of Biscay, Don Lope Iñiguez, donated San Andrés to the Monastery of San Millán de la Cogolla.